- Thursday, June 17 from 10:50 AM - 2:15 PM. Neal Magnet Middle School, Durham. RISE Summercamp. TriDIYBio will be exhibiting for students.
- Saturday Science: June 19, 2021 from 1-4 PM at SplatSpace (splatspace.org). Please bring a mask if you come.
Recent News and Events:
!Triangle DIY Biology has moved from #24 Shoppers St to SplatSpace!
Tom Randall's Ronin Genetics paper "Genomic Sequencing to Identify
Potentially Causative Mutation(s) of Neurospora crassa col-4" is available.
Our video describing DIY Gel Electrophoresis is available here.
- TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday meeting, May 16 at 6:30 PM. We discussed the recent research publication "Reverse-transcribed SARS-CoV-2 RNA can integrate into the genome of cultured human cells and can be expressed in patient-derived tissues" (https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2105968118) which discusses the possibility that fragments of the SARS-CoV2 virus can occasionally integrate into the human genome. This is not known to be part of the SARS-CoV2 viral lifecycle and is thus controversial. No evidence for the integration of full length viral genomes is seen, only smaller subgenomic fragments.
- TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday meeting, Apr 18 at 6:30 PM. This month, our newest member, Eli Hornstein, described how to assemble and transform gene constructs in plants and discussed organometal bond-forming enzymes.
- TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday meeting, Mar 21 at 6:30 PM. Peter Reintjes discussed a computer model for different methods in laboratory evolution.
- TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday meeting, Feb 21 at 6:30 PM. Will Shindel, former Lab Manager at Genspace, stopped by for a Q&A session.
- TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday meeting, Jan 17 at 6:30 PM. We had a discussion on "Emerging Sequence Variants in SARS-CoV-2". Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the meetups are taking place via google meet until further notice.
- Sunday, Nov 15 was TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at 6:30 PM. The topic was COVID-19 Vaccines
- Sunday, Sept 20 was TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at 6:30 PM. We discussed the PVI Dashboard (Pandemic Vulnerability Index; https://covid19pvi.niehs.nih.gov), a publicly available web tool for assessing disease vulnerability at a county-wide level in the US, with a focus on COVID-19. A paper describing this tool is available at medRxiv.
- Saturday, Sept 12, NC Citizens Science Symposium, NC State University, online
- Sunday, Mar 15, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace. Topic: A short presentation on the biology of the Coronavirus.
- Sunday, Feb 16, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace. Topic: An Introduction to Microbiome Analysis.
- Sunday, Dec 15, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace. Tom Randall discussed a recently accepted publication from Ronin Genetics entitled "Genomic Sequencing to Identify Potentially Causative Mutation(s) of Neurospora crassa col-4"
- Thursday, Dec 12, 11:30 AM - 1 PM Stem Wars at Athens Drive HS in Raleigh.
- Thursday, Dec 5, 4 - 7 PM. Larger Than Life Science Best of 2019 event by LaunchBio at the Chesterfield Bldg in Durham. Pictures here
- Saturday, Nov 23, 9 AM - 12 PM. TriDIYBio will be doing hands-on activities with the Catalyst InvenTeam at Science House on the NCSU Centennial Campus. Pictures of the GFP and microbiome plating here.
- Sunday, Nov 17, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace. Edward Richards will be talking about "Entocultura" (cricket rearing company) and the future of small biotech in the triangle.
- Sunday, Oct 20, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace. A discussion of base editing enzymes and PACE
- Thursday, Sept 26, 5:30-8:30 TriDIYBio exhibited at the 2019 SciREN Triangle Networking Event at the NC Museum of Natural Science.
- Sunday, Aug 18, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace. A research update on building a CAS9 containing strain of Neurospora crassa by Tom Randall
- Friday, July 12 from 2-4 PM on the NIEHS campus. TriDIYBio participated in their annual STaRS workshop distributing agar gel electrophoresis kits and helping teachers build DIY magnetic stir plates.
- Sunday, June 23, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace. We discussed our participation in the NIEHS STaRS (Science Teachers at Research Summer) program upcoming on July 12.
- Saturday, June 22. The Scrap Exchange will be hosting the second annual Hebocon. See this Youtube video to get a flavor of this event. More information about Hebocon can be found at their official website.
- Saturday, June 1 from 11 AM - 4 PM, TriDIYBio participated in the NCCU FAB Lab Spark Faire on the NCCU Campus in Durham.
- Sunday, May 19, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace, the talk is "Building a CAS9 containing strain of Neurospora crassa".
- Thursday, Apr 25 from 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM Lakewood Elementary School Science Night
- Saturday, Apr 13 from 9 AM - 4 PM Triangle SciTech Expo at NC Museum of Natural Science, Raleigh. Pictures from the GFP painting and microbiome sampling are here.
- Thursday, Apr 11 from 6 PM - 7:30 PM Science Night at Pearsontown Elementary School, Durham
- Monday, Mar 18, 12:30-1:30 PM, Students at Work Program at NIEHS. Pictures here.
- Sunday, Mar 17, 6:30 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace, the talk is "Developing a new selection marker for Nerurospora crassa, a failed experiment or accidental toxicology.
- Saturday, Mar 16 from 9 AM - 5 PM. Citizens Science Association annual meeting at the NC Museum of Natural Science, Raleigh. Pictures here.
- Friday, Mar 8, 12:45 - 2:45 PM Athens Drive Professional Learning Team Symposium, Raleigh
- Thursday, Feb 21 from 6-8 PM Brassfield Elementary Math and Science Extravaganza, Raleigh
- Thursday, Feb 7 from 4-7 PM, TriDIYBio will exhibit along with SplatSpace in LaunchBio's Larger Than Life Science event "Brilliant Minds". Pictures from the event are here. The WRAL TechWire story is here.
- Friday, Dec 21, 6:30-8:30 PM. Solstice celebration at the RAD Lab at #24. All are invited. LED throwies, home-brew beer tasting, who knows what else.
- Sunday, Dec 16, 6:30 TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday at SplatSpace: An introduction to Illumina next generation sequence analysis.
- Tuesday, Nov 6 1-2 PM TriDIYBio demonstration for 2018 SummerSTEM Day @ NIEHS
- Monday, Nov 5 1-2 PM TriDIYBio demonstration for 2018 SummerSTEM Day @ NIEHS
- Saturday, Oct 20, 2 PM-4 PM TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday: This will be concurrent with Saturday Science at #24 Shopper St. The topic will be a hands-on opportunity to do a plasmid DNA preparation and an agarose gel of the results.
- Tuesday, Oct 16, 8:30 AM - 11 AM Wake Ed LINK Strategic Business-School Engagement with Lynn Rd Elementary
- Saturday, Sept 29, 10 AM - 6 PM TriDIYBio participated in the Orange County LocalFest in Hillsborough. Pictures, including the GFP painting, can be found at this link.
- Thursday, Sept 20, 6:30-8:30 TriDIYBio exhibited at 2018 SciREN Triangle Networking Event at the NC Museum of Natural Science.
- Sunday, Sept 16, 6:30 PM Third Sunday TriDIYBio meeting at SplatSpace. Topic: "Visualization of CRISPR Arrays in E. coli" Demo of software to visualize CRISPR arrays in bacterial genomes.
- Wednesday, Aug 22: TriDIYBio participated in the Durham Public Schools 2018-2019 Academic Kick Off event at the Southern School of Energy & Sustainability from 12 PM to 4 PM
- Saturday, Aug 18, 1 - 4 PM Saturday Science and TriDIYBio 3rd Sunday event concurrently. We will be doing DNA preps from mud and/or soil. Everyone will have the opportunity to do a hands-on DNA prep.
- Friday, July 13, at STaRS (Science Teachers at Research Summer) at NIEHS, TriDIYBio will present "DIY Biology in the Triangle". Pictures from the GFP painting are here.
Archives of past events can be found under the Archives page.
We are TriDIYBio, a local community group focused on bringing together anyone interested in DIY biology, biotechnology, and
We're starting both a community and a laboratory space for learning about and practicing cutting-edge science and biotechnology in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina. As of July 2017 we have space at #24 Shoppers St in the Re-Use Arts District near Scrap Exchange.
If you would like to join us or learn more click on Contact Us to join our mailing list. We'll be sure to reach out to you with more information!
Contact us at email@example.com
Pictures from the TriDIYBio lab (RAD Lab)
Drone overview of the RAD Lab site
Triangle DIY Biology: Community Citizen Science and DIYBio Group of the NC Triangle